Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Kayaking - Rangitoto Island Tour Auckland
Kayaking - Rangitoto Island Tour
Sea kayaking has become somewhat of a tradition within the Auckland region over the years. It’s not hard to understand why – with golden beaches, volcanic islands, bushland at the water’s edge and all of this teeming with unique and beautiful wildlife – there’s no better way to explore this region of gorgeous natural beauty than by paddling gently along in a kayak.
Waitemata Harbour is a naturally sheltered area that is absolutely ideal for kayaking and other water sports. Close by, Rangitoto Island offers kayaking opportunities that are suitable for all skill levels.
Day Sea kayak tour to Rangitoto Island
After a quick safety and paddling briefing, you will begin your journey in Auckland city by paddling across the inspirational Waitemata harbour, which translates to ‘sparkling waters’ in Maori. Even this close to the hustle and bustle, you may spot Cooks Petrels and Blue Penguins, who join approximately 1,418,000 people in calling Auckland home. You will be struck by the beauty of the Hauraki Gulf as nature unfolds her watery wings before you.
Next up is Rangitoto Island, the largest and youngest of Auckland’s many inactive volcanoes. A one-hour walk to the summit allows you to take in the breathtaking views of the NZ Christmas trees (pohutukawa), the volcanic scoria rocks and the amazing 360° views.
Before you jump back on your kayak for your ride home, you will be treated to a full Kiwi lunch and hot or cold beverages. You may even like to jump in for a swim before your return trip (time permitting)!
Your friendly, experienced guide will help you determine if the conditions allow for the use of a sail for your southern return trip to St Heliers Bay. Regardless, you will be positively beaming from your day on the water.
Sunset sea kayak tour to Rangitoto Island
The Sunset sea kayak tour takes you along the same route as the Day sea kayak tour; however, this twilight experience is just that little bit more magical! The changing dusky hues as you travel through Waitemata harbour and the Hauraki Gulf will create a feeling of bliss, while the sunset view from the summit of Rangitoto Island will leave you totally speechless. On your return, you will be awestruck by the beauty of the diamond-like city lights, reflecting on the glassy surface of the water – simply amazing!
This tour is fully catered and includes a BBQ dinner.
- Return transfers from Auckland city centre to St Heliers boat ramp
- Professional qualified guides
- All kayaking equipment including buoyancy aid, spray skirt, spray jacket, thermals & a dry bag for your camera
- BBQ lunch/dinner & refreshments
- Kayaking to & from Rangitoto Island
- Leisurely walk to the summit of Rangitoto Island
- Day Tour: allow 7 hours
- Sunset Tour: allow 6 hours
- Day Tour: 8.30am (returns by 3.30pm)
- Sunset Tour: 4pm (returns by 10pm)
- Departs from St Heliers boat ramp or pick up & drop off from Auckland city centre
- Operates during summer months only (Oct - May)
- No paddling experience is necessary although enthusiasm, energy & a moderate level of fitness all help. Double sea kayaks with rudders, storage compartments & cockpits needing spray decks are used
- Bring camera, water bottle, shorts to kayak in, sun glasses, soft shoes or sandals for hiking
- You can purchase high quality digital photos of your kayaking tour for only $25. Depending on conditions you will receive a minimum of 10 high quality photos
- Small groups & personalised service with friendly kiwi guides
- Tours are fully catered including a BBQ lunch/dinner, so please advise us of any dietary requirements
- Minimum age is 14 years
Prices & Options
- adult (14yrs+) NZD$175.00
- adult (14yrs+) NZD$185.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
Our guide Logan was very knowledgeable and very accommodating. He was very personal able and took the time to get to know each person on the trip. It is obvious that he enjoys and takes pride in what he does
Latest Questions about Kayaking - Rangitoto Island Tour (Auckland)
Do u need to have experience in kayaking to do the trip to rangitoto?
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.