Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Bike Tours - Around the Basin Queenstown
Bike Tours - Around the Basin
Around the Basin is a tour company offering cycle adventures in the area around Wakatipu Basin and the Southern Lakes Region. Follow the Wakatipu Cycle Trails as they wind through the basin and past two pristine lakes, three dramatic river gorges, the historic gold mining settlement Arrowtown, the wine growing community of Gibbston Valley and numerous magnificent mountain ranges. All trails are off road but contain only small hills with low gradients and are composed of well-compacted gravel that makes navigation a breeze. This adventure is suitable for beginner and intermediate riders.
Arrow River Trail Half Day Supported Bike Tour
Your four hour adventure begins at either 9am or 1.15pm with a transfer from your Queenstown accommodation through the historic gold mining village of Arrowtown to the start of the Arrow River trail. Cycle along the spectacular Arrow River Gorge until you reach the point at which the Kawarau River Meets the miner’s trail that so long ago took miners across the Kawarau suspension bridge, today a major bungy site. After your ride, you will be taken to the Gibbston Valley winery, where you will indulge in a wine tasting session before visiting a local cheesery to sample some local cheeses. You will then be taken back to Queenstown.
From May to September a winter half day supported tour is offered much the same as our summer Arrow River Trail Half Day Supported Tour but beginning at 12 noon and returning to Queenstown by 4pm ensuring you are out on the trails during the warmest part of the day.
Queenstown Trail Full Day Supported Bike Tour
Enjoy a full day of adventure and scenery and make the most of the stunning Wakatipu Basin region. Starting at 9am from your Queenstown accommodation you will be dropped off at the Frankton Track for you to cycle the shores of Lake Wakatipu. Following a morning tea break you will be dropped at the Old Shotover Bridge to start the second half of your adventure biking towards Gibbston Valley. Choose a picturesque stop to enjoy your packed lunch. The full day cycle is well supported along the way and can be tailored to suit your ability. Distances can be revised with vehicle support points along the way allowing you to get a ride if you need. Your cycling ceases at the historic Kawarau Bridge and from there you will be taken to the Gibbston Valley Winery for a wine tasting followed by a visit to a local cheesery to sample some cheeses. At the completion of the cheesery visit you will be dropped back to your accommodation in Queenstown.
All cycle adventures will have you riding like a pro on the latest model mountain bikes. Bicycles suited to men and women are available.
- Return transfers from central Queenstown
- Mountain bike
- Safety helmet
- Pannier bag
- Shuttle bus transfers along the trail
- Map of trail
- Lunch (Full Day only)
- Wine tasting
- Half Day Tour - allow 4-5 hours
- Full Day Tour - allow 8 hours
- Half Day Tour - 9am & 1.15pm (12pm only in winter)
- Full Day Tour - 9am (Oct - Apr only)
- Departs from your central Queenstown accommodation or meet outside the back of The Station Building on Duke street, Queenstown
- Operates daily
- Child rates apply (under 14yrs)
- Children's bikes, kiddie bike seats & kids half bikes available
- There is a half day 12pm departure during the winter months only (May - Sept). All other rides & departure times operate during summer only (Oct - Apr)
- Bring with you comfortable footwear, suitable clothing (ideally shorts, riding pants or tights), rain jacket, sunscreen, sunglasses, waterbottle, camera, money for photos
- Riders have the opportunity to ‘hitch a ride’ with the support vehicle to tailor the ride to suit their fitness level
- If you would like a guide to accompany you throughout your cycle tour this is available for an additional cost. Please contact us for more information
Prices & Options
Half Day Supported Bike Tour:
- adult NZD$139.00
- child (under 14yrs) NZD$99.00
- infant (0-4yrs) NZD$50.00
Full Day Supported Bike Tour:
- adult NZD$189.00
- child (under 14yrs) NZD$139.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
The staff were very helpful and responded in a timely manner from our initial contact with questions how to redeem gift vouchers,to our last communication. We generally dealt with Belinda who was pleasant and helpful.
Product rating: excellent
A extremely enjoyable activity.Bikes provided were excellent. Friendly operator.
Service rating: excellent
Product rating: excellent
We enjoyed meeting Judy and John The bike tour was excellent Thanks
Latest Questions about Bike Tours - Around the Basin (Queenstown)
Does the half day hire give you the option to ride alone or do you have to be apart of a group?
Does the winter half day cycle include the Gibbston winery and local cheesery?
Is the half day option suitable with children. We have a 10 year old and an 8 year old. Do you have options of tandem/carrier for the 8 year old or an option for her to ride along while the rest of us continue cycling? Are there shorter route options you have on offer around Queenstown?
What are the cycle distances involved for
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.