Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Heli Ice Climbing - Glacier Guides Franz Josef
Heli Ice Climbing - Glacier Guides
This four-hour ice climbing adventure begins with an amazing scenic flight that will allow you to see a panorama of frozen beauty. On the glacier, things become a little more exciting as you are carefully taught how to climb the ice using the front of your crampons and two technical ice axes. Your guide will ensure that everybody’s skill levels are catered to and most people find that they are scaling ice walls in no time! You will be amazed at your achievement after each and every challenge, and thrilled by the adrenaline rush it brings.
There is nothing like standing atop a towering ice wall, taking a cool, deep breath through a brilliant smile and looking over the enchanting white vista.
Franz Josef Glacier
Spanning a steep and rugged gradient from 2700m high in the Southern Alps, and only 11kms down to its 240m terminus – which descends into the Westland’s National Park rainforest – the Franz Josef Glacier is one of the most impressive and picturesque glaciers in the world. While Franz Josef is highly accessible from the ground, the most beautiful ice features are located in the more difficult to reach areas on the glacier. On your Heli Ice Climb, you are given the chance to see – and then climb! – These rare and difficult to reach locations for yourself.
The friendly and experienced team at Franz Josef Glacier Guides have been touring the ice professionally since 1990, and pride themselves on providing an incredible experience. With their combination of traditional and innovative glacier climbing techniques and equipment, you can be assured of a well-organised, memorable climb. Glacier Guides are extremely proud of their impeccable safety record and will do whatever it takes to make your experience comfortable and safe.
- Helicopter transfer
- 4 hours ice time
- Professional & experienced guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Allow 5 hours (4 hours ice time)
- 7.45am (returns by 1pm)
- Your hikes depart from Franz Josef Glacier Guide base, situated on the main road of Franz Josef
- Operates during winter only (Jun-Sep)
- Reasonable level of fitness required
- Minimum age is 14 years
- Provided - gortex rain jackets, waterproof overtrousers, hats & gloves, socks, glacier boots, crampons, ice axe
- Please BRING THESE: warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers), leggings or light trousers (although shorts are acceptable), sunglasses, sunscreen, waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one), a sense of fun and adventure!
Prices & Options
Adult (14yrs+): NZD$525.00
No Questions yet
Be the first to ask about Heli Ice Climbing - Glacier Guides (Franz Josef).
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.