Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Taieri Gorge Railway & Otago Peninsula Dunedin
Taieri Gorge Train
Explore inland Dunedin with an unforgettable railway journey on the Taieri Gorge Railway before visiting the beautiful Otago Peninsula. Immerse yourself in the picturesque and expansive landscape Dunedin lies within as you travel through narrow tunnels, large valleys and the Taieri River Gorge. In the afternoon discover the Otago Peninsula's unique coastline with many photo opportunities.
Taieri Gorge Railway
Your tour begins at the iconic Dunedin Railway Station where you will have time to enjoy this architectural masterpiece before boarding the Taieri Gorge River Train. Seated in a historic wooden carriage you'll pursue the Taieri river, bound for the Tairei Gorge. Journey through numerous tunnels and viaducts before arriving at Pukerangi, the perfect stop to admire the bounding countryside views. This train trip is one of the world's best and is an absolute must to complete your visit to Dunedin.
The second half of your day will be spent admiring the beauty engulfed in the rugged Otago Peninsula. Make sure you have your camera ready as you tackle the coast, a photographers paradise. You'll visit remote parts of the Peninsula including Portobello and Tidal Inlets, a birdwatchers heaven. At the furthest point of the tour on the Otago Peninsula, embark on a short walk to a unique wildlife reserve in search of the NZ sea-lion and fur seal.
Return to Dunedin city via the low road cruising around the bays and through the small villages before arriving back at Port Chalmers.
- Return transfers from your central Dunedin accommodation or meet at Port Chalmers
- Enjoy the Taieri Gorge Railway tour (4 hours)
- Explore the Otago Peninsula including Portobello & Tidal Inlet
- Stop at a wildlife reserve to see the world's rarest sea-lion & fur seal
- Allow a full day
- 8.45am (returns 4.45pm)
- Departs from your central Dunedin accommodation or meet at Port Chalmers
- Operates daily all year
- Child rates apply (4-14yrs)
- Lunch is not included however a picnic lunch can be provided on request. It includes a ham sandwich, packet of chips, piece of fruit, muesli bar & juice
- There is a buffet cart onboard the train with a good selection of sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls etc.
Prices & Options
No Questions yet
Be the first to ask about Taieri Gorge Railway & Otago Peninsula (Dunedin).
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.