Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Canyoning - Sleeping God Canyon Coromandel
Canyoning - Sleeping God Canyon
If you have a good level of fitness are adventurous and seeking a fun filled all day escapade in the Coromandel then the Sleeping God Canyon awaits you. Experience one of the most exciting and challenging days out with Canyoning New Zealand as you conquer this unforgettable day out and push your boundaries! Located near Thames in the striking Kauaeranga Valley on the Coromandel Peninsula this is an adventure of a lifetime that we challenge you to undertake to create an ever lasting memory.
The Atuatumoe, Sleeping God Canyon is a stream that starts in a spring sheltered amongst a grove of Kauri trees before heading down through a steep valley over numerous cascading waterfalls. The canyoning tour is a vertical descent over the terrain that runs 300m and entails navigating the waterfalls by abseils/rappels, exhilarating water slides and jumps as high as 14 metres into deep natural pools. This expedition will thrill and excite even the most seasoned explorer! The big jumps are optional however the abseils/rappels are not.
The journey will begin with a brief interpretive talk on local Maori history touching on the early pioneering logging days along as well as the remarkable volcanic geology of the region. Following the introduction the hikoi (walk) commences as you ascend to the top of the river and into the peak of the canyon where the spectacular views are imminent and the realisation of what you are about to endure comes to life! From here it is game on! Gear up and following a comprehensive safety briefing, abseiling lesson and a traditional karakia (prayer) the real adventure begins as you drop over the first 30m waterfall.
The breathtaking views of the valley can only be truly appreciated once you are in the canyon. This full day activity is suited to those with a good level of fitness (comparable to a day of hiking).
- Return transfers available from Thames & Hamilton on request
- Full day canyoning
- Lunch & post trip sausage sizzle
- Expert guides
- All equipment & safety instructions included
- Allow a full day
- 8.30am (returns 5.30pm)
- Pick up from Thames i-SITE visitor centre
- Operates daily all year
- Minimum age is 15 years
- Participants under the age of 18 require a signed parental consent form
- You must be able to swim & be confident in the water to do this activity
- A good level of fitness is required (comparable to a full day of hiking)
- Please bring swimwear, towel, shoes & warm clothes for after the trip
- All other equipment is provided
- Photos included
- Transfers from Hamilton are available at no extra charge. Please advise at the time of booking if you are wanting to be collected from Hamilton
- Cameras are allowed at owner's risk
Prices & Options
Adult (15yrs+): NZD$360.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
Amazing loved every minute
Product rating: excellent
No Questions yet
Be the first to ask about Canyoning - Sleeping God Canyon (Coromandel).
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.