Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Milford Sound Boat Cruise - Mitre Peak Cruises Milford Sound
Milford Sound Boat Cruise - Mitre Peak Cruises
Explore the breathtaking beauty of Milford Sound. You will be in awe of your surroundings as you retrace the historic steps of the first European settlers and sealers, who entered the Fiord during the late 18th century.
Mitre Peak Cruises allow you to experience this ancient natural wonder from the comfort of a purpose-built, all-weather boat. The small size of their launches (about 20 metres), allows Mitre Peak Cruises to take you where larger boats cannot reach - close to the gorgeous shorelines and other incredible features of the Fiord.
Mitre Peak Cruises have cruises departing regularly, with each giving you two glorious hours of scenic beauty on the deep waters of Milford. You are given the chance to follow the same approach that the sealers took at the end of the 18th century – entering Milford Sound from the outside. Mitre Peak Cruises are also the only Milford cruise providers that pass the St Anne's lighthouse every time, on your way out to the Tasman Sea.
The friendly, professional cruise guides are adept at spotting the local wildlife, and you may encounter pods of Dusky dolphins, rare Fiordland crested penguins and the playful local fur seals – which were nearly hunted to extinction in the past. The exquisite views from the deck allow you to take in the incredible sights, such as the magnificent 160 metre drop of the Bowen Falls, the phenomenal hanging valley – Sinbad Gully, the white peak of Mount Pembroke and, of course, the iconic Mitre Peak – a 1692 metre tall goliath, rising from the ocean floor.
Regardless of the weather, you will be in awe as you take in the pure, natural beauty of Milford Sound and the Fiordland National Park.
Milford Underwater Observatory
An optional visit to the Milford Deep Underwater Observatory allows you to view the natural aquatic environment of the Fiord in all of its beauty. Descending 10.4 metres below the water's surface, you will see a multitude of amazing fish species, as well as anemones, sea stars, sponges, horse mussels and the rare black and red corals.
This experience is far superior to the experience of visiting an artificial aquarium – the natural environment working in synchronicity is absolutely amazing!
- Two hour Milford Sound cruise
- Free tea & coffee on board
- Knowledgeable guides & informative commentary
- Optional visit to the Underwater Observatory (extra cost)
- 2 hours
- Allow an extra hour if you visit the Underwater Observatory
- Summer - 8.55am, 9.55am, 11.10am, 1.35pm, 2.50pm & 4.30pm
- Winter - 9.55am, and 2.50pm
- Departs from main visitor terminal in Milford Sound
- Operates daily all year (rain, hail or shine)
- Purpose built, all weather vessels offer superior comfort & personalised service
- Maximum capacity on board the boat is 75 passengers. We limit our numbers to keep our cruises uncrowded enhancing your enjoyment & appreciation of this spectacular wilderness area
- Complimentary tea & coffee
- Children 4 years old & under travel free
- Milford Sound is located 4.5hrs drive from Queenstown & 2.5hrs from Te Anau
- Underwater Observatory not available with 2.50pm cruise
Upgrade this activity to one of the following combos:
Prices & Options
- cruise (off peak) NZD$70.00
- cruise NZD$80.00
- cruise & underwater obs NZD$116.00
- cruise NZD$17.00
- cruise & underwater obs NZD$35.00
Latest Questions about Milford Sound Boat Cruise - Mitre Peak Cruises (Milford Sound)
Hi, I am interested in booking the boat trip on Milford Sound but the only time available is 09:55. We would prefer 11:05.
Our date is 9th May - is this time available on this date or is it considered to be winter.
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.