Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
White Island Day Tour Bay of Plenty
White Island Day Tour
Just 50km off New Zealand's North Island lies one of the World's most accessible live volcanoes. Take a cruise with White Island Tours to White Island for an adventure on New Zealand's only active marine volcano. The majority of the volcano sits beneath the ocean so after cruising to the island you will disembark directly on to the crater area meaning no hiking is involved. The island is home to an abundance of amazing geothermal activity and you will be able to get up close to roaring steam vents, pits of bubbling mud, hot volcanic streams and an astonishing lake of steaming acid! The colours of vivid yellow and orange from the sulphur on the island make it extremely photogenic.
Your guides will take you on a journey into the inner crater with interesting and informative commentary on the geology of the island. You will also see the remains of a sulphur factory which has survived multiple eruptions since it was abandoned in the 30's.
Once your tour of the island is over you will board your vessel for the return cruise. During the journey you will have time to enjoy a swim from the boat as well as a light packed lunch, with a stunning backdrop of the island and its Pohutukawa forest. You will even have chance to spend time viewing dolphins, whales and other marine life.
- Return transfers from Rotorua or Tauranga accommodation
- Cruise to White Island
- Professional & experienced crew & tour guides
- 1-1.5 hour fully guided walking tour of White Island's inner crater
- A light packed lunch & bottle of mineral water
- Safety gear (gas mask & hard hat)
- Permit to land on the island
- Allow a full day
- Departs 6.15am from Rotorua or Tauranga (returns 3-5pm) or 8am from Whakatane (returns 1-2pm)
- Departs from Rotorua/Tauranga accommodation or meet at White Island Rendezvous, 15 The Strand East, Whakatane
- Operates daily all year
- The tour is very weather dependent due to tides, sea conditions & operational requirements our tour departure times vary on daily basis, morning tours generally depart between 8am & 10am, please confirm this the night before your trip
- We recommend that children are at least 8 years of age however the final decision rests with the parent or caregiver, the minimum age is 4 years.
- Wear fully enclosed shoes with good grip, warm waterproof jacket & bring water bottle, sunscreen, camera & swimwear in the summer
Prices & Options
Adult (16 yrs+):
- ex Rotorua or Tauranga NZD$349.00
- ex Whakatane NZD$219.00
- ex Rotorua or Tauranga NZD$260.00
- ex Whakatane NZD$130.00
No Questions yet
Be the first to ask about White Island Day Tour (Bay of Plenty).
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.