Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Glacier Walks - Fox Glacier Guiding Fox Glacier
Glacier Walks - Fox Glacier Guiding
The icy breeze gently chills the tip of your nose as you take in a deep breath of the pure, cool air. You look around at the blue sheen of the ice and feel a calm respect for the power of the glacier. You also feel invigorated, healthy and clean… This is the Fox Glacier experience!
Located on the West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island (and only 21 km's south of Franz Josef), Fox Glacier is a world famous wonder of nature. As New Zealand’s largest commercially guided glacier, Fox Glacier has plenty of space for adventure; as a result, Fox Glacier Guiding are able to offer a variety of guided tour options to suit all fitness levels. In all tours, you are provided with leather boots and other equipment, as well as being fitted with provided instep crampons (specially designed ice traction pads that fits on the soles of your shoes) before walking on the ice.
Fox Trail Terminal Face Walk (2 hours)
Ice time - 0 hours
Difficulty level - Suitable for all.
The Fox Trail is an informative and leisurely walk to the face of the glacier and suitable for all ages from as young as 5 years. It is at the terminal face where the Fox River appears from the ice and where ice collapses are often heard and seen. You will not walk on the glacier but instead your guide will lead you to the final resting place of the ice that has travelled 12 kilometres from the base of the Southern Alps, to the river valley floor.
This two hour walk is reasonably straightforward. About one and a half hours is spent walking over easy terrain, up the left hand side of the river valley floor, at a very gentle pace. This is an informative experience when you will learn about the glacier and the surrounding environment.
Flying Fox (heli hike)
Ice time - up to 3 hours
Difficulty level - Some fitness and agility is required.
The ‘Flying Fox’ walk lets you experience up to three hours on the ice via helicopter flight. A moderate level of fitness and agility is required.
A helicopter ride in itself is an adventure, so when combined with a glacier walk, you are sure to have a memorable experience. The fly-in, fly-out helihike allows you to explore a remote and active part of the glacier that is renowned for its exceptional beauty.
Flying in over the pinnacles of the lower icefall, you experience a unique vantage point that only a handful of people ever get to see. Witness the sparkling landscape unfold as you circle the Victoria Falls and upper icefall before landing.
Majestic arches and ice caves (only seen here) are some of the amazing formations you will encounter during your walk. Because this area is a naturally shifting environment, each departure is a unique, pioneering experience. There is always something new; however, this also means that there can be no guarantee that a specific feature will be seen.
- Professional & experienced guide
- Leather boots and socks, crampons, raincoat, waterproof over trousers, alpenstock, woollen hat & mittens (in winter months).
- Helicopter flight (Heli Hike only)
- Terminal Face Walk - allow 2.5 hours
- Flying Fox (heli hike) - allow 4 hours (up to 3 hrs ice time)
- Terminal Face Walk - 9.10am all year (& 4.50pm in summer & 2.20pm in winter)
- Heli Hike - 8.50am, 11.50am (& 2.50pm in summer)
- All hikes depart from Fox Glacier Guide base, situated on the main road in Fox Glacier
- Operates all year except Christmas Day
- Good level of fitness required for full day walk
- Please bring: 3-4 layers of clothes for your upper body & any other clothes for your personal warmth. Jeans are not recommended on wet days as they can become cold & uncomfortable to wear. A day pack, food & drink, sunscreen, sunglasses, your own boots, raincoat & during winter months also bring a warm hat & gloves
- We recommend you pop into the Fox Glacier Guides shop the day/night before to check what gear you need to bring for your Heli Hike
- Minimum age for Heli Hike is 9 years & Terminal Face Walk is 5 years
- For the more adventurous check out the Fox Glacier Ice Climbing
Prices & Options
Flying Fox (heli hike):
- adult NZD$425.00
- child (9-16yrs) NZD$399.00
Terminal Face Walk:
- adult NZD$65.00
- child (5-16yrs) NZD$50.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: good
Product rating: good
Bien intéressant à faire!
Service rating: excellent
Excellent trip which was very well organised, a good level of challenge and delivered with knowledge and expertise.
Probably the highlight of our trip to NZ
Latest Questions about Glacier Walks - Fox Glacier Guiding (Fox Glacier)
I have never hiked before, can you advise if the heli hike is suitable for a beginner?
In your Prices you still include 'Face the Fox' walks - are they still available? We will be there 18 Mar 2015
Hi, one more question I found there is other walks available from this website but it's no in your website, could you confirm if it's available?
Fox Trot (half day walk) - allow 4 hours (1 hr ice time)
Nimble Fox (all day walk) - allow 7 hours (4 hrs ice time)
I was more worried about clothing. If we are looking at going on the half day walk, what clothes are recommended?
Can i bring my own camera?
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.