Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Heli Hike - Franz Helicopter Line Franz Josef
Heli Hike - Franz Helicopter Line
The Westland National Park is home to one of nature’s most spectacular sights; Franz Josef Glacier has captivated all those who have come across its mighty path. The glacier itself lies in the west coastal region of New Zealand, nestled between the Tasman Sea and the Southern Alps; this generates breathtaking and complementary contrasts in the scenery.
The spectacular views – attained while gliding along on the chartered helicopter ride – will leave you in awe of nature’s beauty, along with the guided walk amid the ice caves, pinnacles and seracs of this unspoiled ice wonderland. You will leave feeling completely satisfied – you have had a panoramic view from the air and an up close and personal feeling, walking within a natural marvel that only very few have seen.
Franz Josef Glacier Guides – who have been operating since 1990 – in combination with The Helicopter Line, offer this fantastic two-hour adventure tour. The operators of this tour have a pristine safety record, use only the best equipment and make your comfort and safety their number one priority. For the hike, you will be provided with boots, socks, jacket, crampons and ice axe, so you only need to worry about wearing warm upper clothing and light lower clothing and you’re all set to go.
Upon landing in an area only usually seen by professional glacier hikers, your experienced and friendly guide will take you on the adventure of a lifetime. As you weave in and out of secretive ice caves and unbelievable ice formations, you will be regaled with tales of the glaciers history and geological process. Imagine the photos you will be able to take! After your amazing adventure, you will again board the helicopter for yet another picture perfect trip back to the Franz Josef Township.
- 10 minute helicopter flight to Franz Josef icefall
- Glacier landing & pickup
- 2 hour hike among glacial ice formations with Franz Josef Glacier Guides
- Professional & experienced guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Allow 3 hours (includes 2 hours hiking on the glacier)
- 9.30am, 12pm & 2.30pm (October to April)
- 11am & 1.30pm (May to September)
- Your Heli Hike departs from The Helicopter Line's Franz Josef Glacier base, situated on the main road of Franz Josef Glacier
- Operates daily all year
- Moderate fitness required
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Our Heli Hike trips are weather-dependent. We will do our best to accommodate you, but occasionally cancellation may be unavoidable (fully refunded)
- Please BRING THESE: warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers), leggings or light trousers (although shorts are acceptable), sunglasses, sunscreen, waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one), a sense of fun and adventure!
Prices & Options
Child (8-14yrs): NZD$399.00
Latest Questions about Heli Hike - Franz Helicopter Line (Franz Josef)
what's the typical temps on the glacier in mid Janurary?
Hello do you allow 9 year olds to do your heli hikes as I see the minimum age on your website is 10 years, but other helihike companies' minimum age is 9. We are a family of four, children aged 13 and 9. I am looking for a helihike for Mon 21 Dec. Thank you.
We have an 8 month old baby with us, are there crèche facilities available at franz Josef if the parents want to do a heli hike tour ?
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.