Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Hobbiton & Waitomo Day Tour Auckland
Hobbiton & Waitomo Day Tour
This glorious adventure has you setting your eyes on some spectacular scenery – from your guided Hobbiton tour to the magical world of Waitomo Glow-worm caves and everything in between.
As you set out on your journey, you will travel in style in one of Great Sights deluxe coaches. Your morning expedition takes you through the gorgeous emerald farmland of the stunning King Country and Waikato areas. While you take in all the spectacular New Zealand countryside, listen as your driver/guide gives you an informative commentary on some of the landscapes iconic past – including a battle involving local Māori and British forces, which occurred in 1863.
Once you reach Waitomo, you’ll be thrust into an awe-inspiring journey through the renowned Waitomo Glow-worm caves. The 45 minute escorted adventure takes you through the unsurpassed beauty of underground caverns. Also see and learn about how – over millions of years – the structures have formed into stalagmites and stalactites. As you travel through, making your way to the ‘Glow worm Grotto’, you be amazed at this underground wonderland; but don’t peek yet, as the Grotto holds something that can only be described as magical! On arrival at the Glowworm Grotto, you’ll be immersed in this surreal landscape, traveling along by boat while thousands of glistening glowworm’s ignite your surrounds and your imagination.
En route to Rotorua, you will delight in a delectable al fresco-style lunch. Once you arrive, you will transfer to the Hobbiton Movie Set coach tour. As you travel through the gorgeous landscape, take in the beauty of the Kainai Ranges heading towards Matamata – known for its dairy farming and thoroughbred industry. Laying a short distance outside Matamata, you’ll gain access to the 1,250 acre farm where JRR Tolkien’s books were brought to life. Engross yourself in the landscape that brought heroes to fruition – Frodo, Sam and all the Hobbits called this place home – and you’ll get to experience it firsthand!
Included in your guided adventure, you’ll see the Green Dragon Inn, the Mill, Hobbit holes and learn how the charming countryside was altered into one of the most recognised landscape to date – Middle Earth. Once you’ve completed your Hobbiton tour, take in some of the sights in Matamata – before heading back for your return to the nation’s capital, Auckland.
- Luxury coach travel from Auckland
- Informative driver commentary
- Waikato and King Country scenery
- Guided tour of the Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour
- Lunch on board coach
- Allow 13 hours for Auckland-Hobbiton-Auckland
- Allow 10.5 hours for Auckland-Hobbiton-Rotorua
- Departs 7.30am (finishes in Rotorua at 6pm or returns to Auckland at 8.10pm)
- Departs central Auckland accommodation or Sky City Coach Terminal, 102 Hobson Street, Auckland
- Operates daily all year
- Child rates apply (3-12yrs)
- Children under 3 years are free of charge. Please advise if an infant is travelling with you at the time of booking
- We recommend wearing comfortable walking shoes & taking a warm jacket for the Waitomo Glowworm Caves guided tour
- If you are finishing your tour in Rotorua after the Hobbiton movie set tour you will be dropped at Tourism Rotorua head office and hotel drop offs are available from there
Prices & Options
- adult NZD$347.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$173.00
- adult NZD$327.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$163.00
Latest Questions about Hobbiton & Waitomo Day Tour (Auckland)
I just sent some queries moments back and would just like to add if the bus has enough space to accommodate our travel luggages as we will be moving from auckland to rotorua. I'm pretty sure it is but we just want to make sure. cheers.
Do you have the combo tour from Rotorua to Waitomo glowworm caves to Hobbiton and then to Rotorua or do we have to start in Auckland. One other question does the one I see in your site actually start in Auckland and we can end in Rotorua? Feb 2017
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.