Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Kayaking - Glacier Kayak Tours Franz Josef
Kayaking - Glacier Kayak Tours
The water is so glassy and pure that you cannot tell the lake from the sky. Almost vertical walls of glacial deposits are reflected perfectly, and ancient rainforest add an emerald hue to the cool icy blue that surrounds you. This is Lake Mapourika, and you have the chance to touch it!
Glacier Kayak Tours invite you to experience their kayak adventure and kiwi sanctuary tour, minutes away from Franz Josef Glacier. Lake Mapourika – which is positioned between the sea and the mountains – is situated in a drier, warmer area of the Franz Josef Glacier valley and is a perfect place for capturing the beauty of the glaciers.
On your guided tour, you will be led across the magical, reflective surface of the lake where you will be enchanted by the sights. The Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary and the 900-year-old kahikatea trees you encounter next will leave you breathless and your friendly guide will be there to capture it all on camera (which you get for free at the conclusion of the tour!).
During the morning, the view is so magnificent that you are able to see Mount Cook, Mount Tasman and 14 glaciers. In the afternoon, the glossy surface of the lake becomes a little more uneven as the coastal breeze gently goads it into small waves. This makes the after-lunch tours a little more exciting, particularly when combined with the shifting light and the amazing cloud contours that form across the peak tops of the Southern Alps.
Kayak & Walk
Add a guided rainforest walk through the Kiwi Sanctuary to make the most of your experience. Paddle over Lake Mapourika before you set foot upon the ancient soils of the protected Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary. Enjoy a short walk through the untouched rainforest trail before sitting down to your own packed lunch with magical views. Take time to soak in the serenity as you eat lunch nestled amongst Jurassic rainforest and abundant bird life. Tea and coffee are provided on the Kayak and Walk however you will need to bring your own packed lunch.
Your enjoyment and safety is the top priority on your tour of the South Island's West Coast, and the excellent guides will make sure you are happy and comfortable as you enjoy learning about this paradise on Earth. Whatever option you choose you will never forget your kayaking eco-adventure on Lake Mapourika!
- 3 hour guided kayak tour or 4 hour kayak & walk adventure
- Digital photos of your experience
- All paddling equipment (including gloves, waterproof jackets, dry bags hat & a selection of single or double kayaks)
- Informative guides
- Allow 3.5 hours for the Kayak Classic
- Allow 4.5 hours for the Kayak & Walk
- Kayak Classic departs 9am & 1pm (or 2pm)
- Kayak & Walk departs 10.30am (returns 2.30pm)
- Departs from Glacier Kayaks shop, 64 Cron street, Franz Josef
- Operates daily all year
- Child rates apply (3-16yrs)
- All equipment provided
- If you prefer to kayak in calmer conditions with less wind then we recommend booking the morning tour as the afternoon tour can be effected by the late breeze & is thus a little more adventurous
- There is a late evening tour during peak season as well. Afternoon tour times will be confirmed when you book
- Operates all year in most weather conditions
- Minimal fitness is required
- No minimum age for kayaking
- No previous experience required
Prices & Options
- adult NZD$115.00
- child (3-16yrs) NZD$70.00
Kayak & Walk:
- adult NZD$145.00
- child (3-16yrs) NZD$85.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
We were very pleased with the excellent service given-could not fault it.
Sonia and Terry Becconsall Queenstown
Product rating: excellent
Bronwyn was fantastic,her knowledge was brilliant the photos taken are stunning and we so enjoyed our trip with her.
I would thoroughly recommend people to do this tour with her.
It was just a superb experience in every way.
Sonia and Terry Becconsall Queenstown
Latest Questions about Kayaking - Glacier Kayak Tours (Franz Josef)
Hi, we want to know is it possible to play kayaking now? will it be too cold? Any clothes you provide?Eg: s<em>&^</em>s? rain coat?
Hi... we are 4 adults and a child 10 yo.. are the kayaks for 2 people? is there a way for 4+1 kayaking?
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.