Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Rafting - Kaituna River Grade 5 - River Rats Rotorua
Rafting - Kaituna River Grade 5 - River Rats
Experience the thrill of conquering the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfall, while Whitewater rafting on the Kaituna River in Rotorua.
The friendly and experienced staff at River Rats invite you on an adrenaline-fuelled journey through the beautiful native bushland surrounding the Kaituna River. Your adventure on the river – a stunning natural gorge, located to the north of Rotorua – begins with you dressing in your wetsuit, accessories and safety gear (all provided); this is followed by a 15-20 minute training session, then it’s into the rafts in teams of up to seven.
On the water, you will first have the chance to practice your skills on some fairly tame rapids, including a moderate fall of a few metres high. As the refreshingly cool water gently rushes in from these smaller rapids, and the gorgeous surroundings give you a sense of calm serenity, you begin to think that maybe even your great Aunty Beryl would enjoy this trip…
Then you hear it – the rumble of the water as it gushes over the big one – a seven-metre drop from the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfall. The flow of the river speeds up as you enter an increasingly narrow section of river and you can feel your pulse quicken. After a short pause (just in case anyone has changed their mind and wants to get off the raft), you round a bend and see the flow of water dropping over the edge. You hold your breath as you go over the precipice and feel your stomach as it rises to your throat; SPLASH! You quickly surface from the bubbly, churning water and take a breath through smiling lips.
Your exhilaration will stay with you for the rest of the river journey, which includes even more exciting rapids and spectacular scenery as well as some extra fun and games. This 45 minute long, grade 5 river adventure is certainly not designed for the faint of heart (sorry Aunty Beryl); however, the river is ‘pool drop’, which means that each rapid is followed by an area of calmer water, so brave beginners (13 years and up) can take this challenge. Professional photographs are taken of each River Rats rafting trip, so you can share your adventure with family and friends.
- Optional return transfers from Rotorua accommodation
- Safety briefing & rafting training
- 45 mins rafting including the worlds largest commercially rafted waterfall
- All equipment provided including wetsuit, booties & life jacket
- Allow 3hrs (including travel time from Rotorua)
- 9am, 12.30pm & 3.30pm in summer (Nov - Mar)
- 10am & 2pm in winter (Apr - Oct)
- Meet us at our base at Hangar 14s, Rotorua Airport, 837 Te Ngae Rd, Rotorua (20mins from Rotorua)
- Complimentary transfers available from your central Rotorua accommodation
- Operates all year
- No rafting experience required
- Please bring swimsuit & a towel
- Suitable for all active people 13 years & older
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- Recommended minimum weight limit 40kg, Maximum 120kg
- Rotorua hotel transfers will be approximately half an hour before the trip time
- River Rats are very proud to be celebrating over 30 years in business
- We ensure that all raft guides are trained to the highest standard. All River Rats rafting expeditions are led by an N.Z.Q.A (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) qualified Senior Guide
Prices & Options
Adult (13yrs+): NZD$105.00
Latest Questions about Rafting - Kaituna River Grade 5 - River Rats (Rotorua)
Is it safe because i don't know how to swim?
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.