Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Scenic Plane Flights - Mountain Air Tongariro National Park
Scenic Plane Flights - Mountain Air
Experience the thrill of flying over some of New Zealand’s most spectacular terrain with a scenic flight over the World Heritage Site of Tongariro National Park. This amazing Volcanic Park is so precious, that it was the second area in the world (after Yellowstone in America) to be declared a National Park. Now that’s impressive!
The dramatic landscape of Tongariro National Park ensures breathtaking views, as you fly over the three live craters of Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu. The rugged volcanic terrain is offset beautifully by the amazing lakes on the mountains; the Emerald Lakes, the Blue Lake and the Tama Lakes. Make sure you have your camera handy as you learn about these spectacular mountains – which were presented to the people of New Zealand by the Chief of the Tuwharetoa tribe, Te Heuheu Tukino IV, in 1887.
Tongariro Crossing - 15 minutes flying time
As you soar around Mt Tongariro's volcanic craters, you will see the renowned Tongariro Alpine Crossing, the perfect cone of Mt Ngauruhoe (‘Mt Doom’ in the Lord of the Rings), the stunning Chateau Tongariro Resort and gorgeous alpine lakes.
Northern Circuit - 25 minutes flying time
The Northern Circuit allows you to view an extended version of the Tongariro Crossing flight, with a more detailed look at the spectacular craters of Mt Tongariro, alpine lakes and Mt Ngauruhoe.
The Volcanic Explorer - 35 minutes flying time
This flight is Mountain Air’s most requested flight. Experience the majestic views of all three of Tongariro Park’s volcanoes from 10,000 feet. This flight also includes views of the active crater lake of Mt Ruapehu, as well as Lord of the Rings filming sites.
- Views of the volcanic Tongariro National Park & World Heritage Site
- Scenes from past & present volcanic activity
- Views of the Ketetahi Hot Springs, Blue Lake, Emerald Lakes, Red Crater, Tama Lakes, Tongariro Crossing one day walk, the central desert, native forests of the Park, the tussock country, sheep farmlands & Lake Taupo, the biggest crater lake of them all
- Outstanding photographic opportunities
- Scenic flight with informative commentary & guaranteed window seat
- Return transfers available from Whakapapa Village & National Park Village
- Allow 1 hour
- Flights depart daily on demand from 8am
- Make your own way to Chateau Airport at the intersection of the turn-off to Whakapapa Ski Area, Mt Ruapehu & State Highway 47
- Volcanic Explorer flight also departs from Taupo airport
- Operates all year
- Flights are weather dependent
- Child rates apply (3-12yrs)
- Infants 2 years & under FOC
- Maximum individual passenger weight is 130 kg
- Minimum of 2 adult passengers are required to confirm all flights. If you are travelling on your own then we may be able to confirm the flight with other bookings
Prices & Options
Tongariro Crossing(from Mt Ruapehu):
- adult NZD$120.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$60.00
Northern Circuit (from Mt Ruapehu):
- adult NZD$195.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$97.50
Volcanic Explorer (from Mt Ruapehu):
- adult NZD$245.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$122.50
Volcanic Explorer (from Taupo):
- adult NZD$365.00
- child (3-12yrs) NZD$182.50
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
Great, was informed about the booking process.
Product rating: excellent
Very nice pilots and great flight! Very flexible with rescheduling in light of weather conditions.
No Questions yet
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.