Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Glacier Walks - Glacier Guides Franz Josef
Glacier Walks - Glacier Guides
The rugged gradient of the Franz Josef Glacier makes it one of the most dramatic and beautiful glaciers in the world. The bittersweet story behind the Māori name for the glacier, Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere ('The tears of Hinehukatere'), will capture your heart and imagination as you explore its beauty.
Named after Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, the Franz Josef Glacier is one of the most accessible and unique glaciers in the world. As the world’s steepest and fastest flowing commercially guided glacier, the Franz Josef is a sight to behold in its location in the Southern Alps. The glaciers descent into the Westland’s National Park rainforest adds a touch of enchantment to the already spectacular view.
The friendly team at Franz Josef Glacier Guides love this majestic landscape and know you will too; that is why they pride themselves on providing an incredible and memorable experience, every time. Using a combination of tradition and innovation, the team has made it a possibility to explore terrain normally inaccessible to non-experienced trekkers. All equipment is provided for your journey and – depending on which of the three glacier walks you choose – a helicopter ride is included.
Glacier Valley Walk
Ice time - 0 hours
Difficulty level - Easy
This is an easy walk with no actual ice time; however, you will get up close to the ice at the terminal face.
You will experience the sheer beauty of the landscape as you are led alongside the mighty Waiho River bed along the glaciers path of retreat. You will learn about the history of the glacier and how it has shaped the surrounds. You will also get to learn of the legend behind Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere – a tale that truly gives emotional meaning to Franz Josef Glacier. You are given the special opportunity to cross the public barriers at the terminal face – a great spot for photos. After a brief climb, you will be able to look out over the extremely majestic and ever-changing terminal face.
Ice time - 2 hours
Difficulty level - Moderate
This walk requires a moderate level of fitness to complete and you will be spending two hours on the ice.
This adventure begins with an intoxicatingly beautiful scenic flight. Landing upon a high part of the glacier, you are guided on a two-hour adventure through the awe-inspiring frozen scenery. The most impressive ice formations in the area are sought out by your guide, so you will be able to experience the best of Franz Josef Glacier. You will be amazed to learn about the history of the glacier and how its beautiful blue ice has changed over time.
- Guided walk
- Ice time varies with the option chosen
- Professional & experienced guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Scenic helicopter flight (Heli Hike only)
- Free entry into the public Glacier Hot Pools (heli hikers only)
- Glacier Valley Walk - allow 3 hours (0 hours ice time)
- Heli Hike - allow 4 hours (3 hours ice time)
- Glacier Valley Walk - 10.15am & 2.15pm
- Heli Hike - 9.15am, 10.55am & 11.40am (+ 8.30am & 12.30pm in summer)
- Your hikes depart from Franz Josef Glacier Guide base, situated on the main road of Franz Josef
- Operates daily all year
- A 5 minute scenic helicopter flight each way is included in the Heli Hike
- Please note there is no time on the ice on the Glacier Valley Walk
- Minimum age is 6 years for Glacier Valley Walk & 8 years for the Heli Hike
- Provided - gortex rain jackets, waterproof overtrousers, hats & gloves, socks, glacier boots
- Please BRING THESE: warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers), leggings or light trousers (although shorts are acceptable), sunglasses, sunscreen, waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one), a sense of fun & adventure!
- Please check out the Youtube video at the top of this listing for more information
- Check out Heli Ice Climbing in Franz Josef
Prices & Options
- adult (8yrs+) NZD$449.00
Glacier Valley Walk:
- adult NZD$75.00
- child (6-16yrs) NZD$65.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: good
no complaints here!
Product rating: excellent
guide was brilliant and we had a great few hours on the ice :)
Latest Questions about Glacier Walks - Glacier Guides (Franz Josef)
How long is the helicopter ride?
my husband and I are 50 and would love to do the explorer later this month but not sure what moderate fitness means to u guys- we are quite active but not what u would call fit
What time do the walks commence and approximately how long is the "round-trip"? Are there morning and/or afternoon guided walks? I am visiting in mid-March.
92% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.