Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Horse Riding - Rubicon Valley Horse Treks Christchurch
Horse Riding - Rubicon Valley Horse Treks
Rubicon Valley Horse Treks offers horse lovers and fun seekers a delightful choice of horse trekking options on Rubicon Farm.
Located in Kowai Bush, Springfield, in the beautiful mountains and foothills of Canterbury – only 50 minutes from Christchurch – this amazing 2000 acre sheep farm is perfect for riding. The trails meander over rolling hills and flat river beds, skirting the sparkling Waimakariri River, creating a perfect mix of riding options for beginners and advanced riders alike. The stunning views you will take in include the alpine Mt Torlesse, majestic beech tree bushland and a plethora of wildlife and sheep.
There are one, two or three hour horse trek options available, or full day options for true equestrian fans. Each riding group is an intimate size, meaning that you will enjoy a personalised trip with greater supervision to ensure your safety. The friendly staff at Rubicon Valley are all professional and have your safety in mind, and the gorgeous horses you will use have all been trained to cater to beginners and advanced riders, meaning you can relax and fully enjoy yourself.
River Trail (2 hours riding)
Riding through the Torlesse basin gives you access to some truly stunning mountain views. Visit the Otarama lookout point, which has its vista over the awe inspiring snow fed Waimakariri Canyon for some memorable photo opportunities. You will be treated to refreshments in a lovely location overlooking the canyon and then you will descend the terraces over the musterers trail. This is a relaxing, slow paced ride and is suitable for all ages and levels of fitness and ability; however, there is plenty of opportunity for some faster paced riding.
Farm Show Trek (3 hours - 1.5 hours riding)
Enjoy a horse trek and a farm show in one fun-filled 3 hour trek! The trek across Rubicon Valley farm on your way to the Rubicon Valley Tourist Centre allows you to see the lovely Waimakariri River, the snow-capped peaks of the Southern Alps and plenty of other sights. At the Tourist Centre, you can watch the sheep shearing show, have a go at shearing and watch the amazing dog display. You will also get to meet the farm animals, including alpacas, sheep, farm dogs and Blakey, the resident farm cat. After a delicious morning tea, you will ride back to base camp. This ride is suitable for all ages and levels of fitness and ability.
River & Valley Trail (3 hours riding)
This scenery-filled, three hour ride is an ideal soul food experience. Riding into the high country, you will experience stunning views. After riding along the crystal clear mountain fed stream, you will be let in on the secret of the trail that leads to the gorgeous mystic pools. Views of the Waimakariri River canyon from the Otarama Look Out will awe you before you ride along the musterers trail down, to see the canyon up close. Then it’s a lovely forest ride on your way back to base. This ride is suitable for all ages and levels of fitness and ability; however, there is plenty of opportunity for some faster paced riding.
Mountain Trail Ride (6 hours - 4.5 hours riding)
This ride is perfect for riders who love spending plenty of time in the saddle. With views of the stunning Southern Alps, you will trek along the Mt Torlesse Range, which is full of exciting challenges along the way. Before reaching Patterson's Creek – which rests below the famous Trans Alpine Train route – you will descend down along rivers, forest paths, mountain crossings and valley floors, exposing you to an inspiring variety of scenery. The Waimakariri River canyon and the Canterbury plains are resplendent in their beauty. This 4.5 hour trek includes plenty of breaks and a delicious lunch, as well as morning and afternoon tea. This ride is suitable for all abilities; however, it is not recommended for children under 12 or people with a low level of fitness.
- Optional return transfers from central Christchurch (additional cost)
- Guided horse ride
- Wet weather gear provided (Drizabone jackets). Please note if the rain is too heavy & weather conditions aren't looking favourable the trek will be cancelled
- All safety equipment (riding helmets)
- River Trail, River & Valley Trail & Farm Show Trek include morning or afternoon tea
- Mountain Trail Ride includes morning, afternoon tea & lunch
- Allow 1-6 hours depending on ride option (allow 2 hours for return transfers)
- Mountain Trail - 9am
- River Trail, Farm Show Trek, River & Valley - 9am & 2pm
- Meet at Rubicon Valley Horse Treks, Rubicon Rd, Kowai Bush, Springfield (50mins drive from Christchurch) or pick up from central Christchurch available (extra cost)
- Operates daily all year (except Christmas day)
- No child prices
- Transfers cost $300 for up to 2 passengers & $40 per additional person for pickups from central city accommodation. There is the Atomic Shuttle which leaves Christchurch at about 7.15am & will drop you in Springfield where Rubicon will pick you up from. The bus back to town doesn't depart until 4pm so you'll spend the entire day so best to book the 3 hour ride. This is much cheaper option at $60 per person. Please book transfers with Atomic Shuttles directly
- Experienced riders please note that the 'Farm Trek' is slow paced with no trotting or cantering
- The Mountain Trail is suitable for all riding abilities however does require a good level of fitness due to the length of the trek
- Minimum age is 5 years (child must be confident)
- Children can be led by a Trek leader if requested, or at the discretion of the Trek leader if required
- Mountain Trail Ride is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years
- Wear long trousers (jeans ok) & comfortable sturdy footwear (running shoes ok)
- Bring a camera & sunglasses
- Small groups with max client to guide ratio of 5:1
Prices & Options
River Trail (2 hours): NZD$98.00
Farm Show Trek (3 hours): NZD$140.00
River & Valley (3 hours): NZD$135.00
Mountain Trail (12yrs+) (6 hours): NZD$285.00
- christchurch transfers (1-2 people) NZD$300.00
- christchurch transfers (ext people) NZD$40.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: poor
When I booked it the website stated that the ride would go ahead in all weathers. It was then re-arranged and cancelled twice while I was there due to rain even though I was still willing to go - this wasted two days of my very short time in Christchurch which prevented me from doing other trips.
Very disapointed that it was cancelled
Service rating: excellent
Customer Support is excellent and friendly.
Product rating: excellent
My best made decision and unique experience in NZ
Latest Questions about Horse Riding - Rubicon Valley Horse Treks (Christchurch)
If I am an experienced rider - comfortable with cantering - which ride would I be best suited to?
Also is the $40 for a return transfer to and from Christchurch?
96% of new customers that used Everything New Zealand to provide advice and securely book their NZ activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.